Name:
Location: Madrid, Spain

I love eating Golden Delicious apples with peanut butter. I shop too much, drive an old car, and save my Starbucks money for traveling. Disillusioned women writers are my inspiration, especially Sylvia Plath and Sara Teasdale. I adore used book stores and fleamarkets.

1.23.2008

Bus 625 to Monte Rozas

This is the bus I take back to my house from the Moncloa bus station at the edge of Madrid. This afternoon, I sat watching the buses go past: the 631 to Torrelodones, the 627 to Brunete, and the 656 to Pozuelo. I use that bus too, when I go to class.

I have classes at two different businesses, one in Pozuelo outside of Madrid, and one near the center of the city. In Pozuelo, we gather in a meeting room at the end of the hall, and the sun reflects off the windows into our eyes. We debate the topics they are working on (right now, a project called Public Eye), and they ask me to enunciate the pronunciation differences between ¨lunch,¨ ¨launch,¨ and ¨lounge.¨ They are a good class, Charo and Guillermo and Abraham, and ready to learn.

In Madrid, we find a room that is not being used by interviewers (they are an HR consulting company). The internal walls of the office are sheets of glass, and the decorations are minimal. We review and I try get a sense of where they are. They are learning the differences between adjectives and adverbs, and how to change one to another depending on the sentence.

Then the bus to my house, about half an hour away. I have no idea how many kilometers. Eric and Amy are leaving tomorrow, so I may run back to see them tonight or early tomorrow morning. Until then, I enjoy a warmly lit attic with a sloping roof, red armchairs, and many books. And at bedtime, a thick new don comforter! The joys in my life are small and many.

1 Comments:

Blogger h. e. c. said...

of course red furniture. :) love you.

25.1.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home